Tuesday, May 25, 2010

A Networking Twist

Recently I heard a great speaker at the Central Exchange on the subject of Networking. I have to admit that I wasn’t looking forward to another presentation on Networking. It’s about helping others, don’t talk, ask questions, be sincere, don’t sell, plan ahead… all that stuff. I thought I’d heard it all, but really hoped I’d hear something new. To my surprise and delight, Laura Wynn of Black Widow Enterprises, did not disappoint.

Laura has built a successful marketing business with a unique strategy. She plans events that help others network while supporting a common social cause. The events are hosted by local restaurants that then benefit through greater awareness, more traffic, and goodwill.

One of the keys to her success is the loyal following she has created through her social media sites. And how did she do this? Through good basic networking principles. It’s not about you, give first, connect others, attract and be a power connector, don’t sell, be fun, follow-through, etc.

Oh, there’s one more twist to this Networking tale. Later that same day, I was telling my hairstylist, Kalvin, about what I had learned from Laura’s talk and I casually mentioned that she also had great hair. Kalvin paused a moment before smiling to say, “You must be talking about Laura Wynn. She’s one of my clients.”

If you have a good Networking lesson or story to share, I’d love to hear it.

Make it happen!

Cindy Sanders Meyer

No comments:

Post a Comment