Thursday, May 27, 2010

It's Not About You

This topic falls under the category of Big Things I Wish I Knew Then That I Know Now.


One of the best ways to achieve your goals is to engage others in theirs. Paradoxically, to do that you have to STOP thinking about what you want and think about what others want. Not only will adopting a servant attitude help you achieve your goals, but serving others is also one of the best ways to achieve personal happiness. There is even science that proves it.

An article in the March 2009 More magazine titled “The Activism Cure” by Meridith Maran explains that “new science says doing good actually changes you-physiologically.” “Scans show that the brain structures that are activated when you get a reward are the same ones that are activated when you give.” “That activation releases feel-good chemicals, triggering a surge of physical energy,” according to Stephen G. Post, PhD, coauthor of Why Good Things Happen to Good People.

Now for my personal reveal.  A servant attitude is hard for me to do when it comes to business. But when I do, it works well, I feel good, and I accomplish more. So, I have the letters INAY, as in It’s Not About You, pasted on my bathroom mirror. Not exactly a positive affirmation, but a reminder to listen better for opportunities to help others.

So next time you’re in a meeting and they’re looking for volunteers, don’t look down hoping they won’t see you. Raise your hand high and give a little. You’ll make a friend and you never know when you might need them.

Make it happen,

Cindy Sanders Meyer

No comments:

Post a Comment